2012/02/22

My band in Doses

My beloved debut album "Doses" will be released on 16th March 2012;
that's 22 days from now & today it's 22nd February. Isn't it magical? Oh yeah! 22 on 22.2. ;-)
Two has always been my favourite number. It symbolizes togetherness. That's why today is the perfect day to introduce the musicians who play with me on "Doses" and from time to time also live on stage.

Fellow musicians

I met all these guys in Jyväskylä between 2002-2006. In those times Jyväskylä was a nest of creative Finnish musicians.

Antti Kujanpää 

Instrument: keyboards
Graduated from Sibelius Academy, Helsinki
Plays in: Kvalda, Yona & Orkesteri Liikkuvat pilvet, Big Blue, Auteur Jazz, Rime, Aili Ikonen Ensemble etc.

I met Antti in December 2002. It was Christmas party in the "living-room of Jyväskylä's musicians", Jazzbar, and annual awards for musicians handed over. Antti received the award of "musician of the year" and I can remember how humble and shy he was.

Anders Banders aka Mr. Anderson is a kind-hearted guy and one of the best nordic jazz and free jazz pianists. Check out his music, he writes beautiful serene compositions!
Joona Hasan
Instrument: guitar
Graduated from Metropolia, Helsinki 
Plays in: Anna ja me, Linda Tikkanen and many more

Joona brought cool jazzy grooves to Tune Toaster but he surprised me how well he can interprete my pop songs. He has the perfect combination of analytical and at the same time emotional approach to music.

Joona is without a doubt the most talkative man in Finland :-D and he sure knows how to crack a nice sarcastic joke. Apart from that, he's like a walking encyclopedia.





Lauri Lähteenkorva

Instrument: bass
Graduated from Metropolia, Helsinki
Plays in: Anna ja me, Elina Orkoneva Ensemble and many more

Lauri played in Tune Toaster in 2006 and that's where I got to know him. He didn't say much but man he played well!

He creates fine groove for my music and I admire his diligent mentality and musicianship. If he wasn't a musician he would probably be a hermit, fishing in a secluded place.



Eeti Nieminen

Instrument: drums, percussions
Studying at Metropolia, Helsinki
Plays in: Mopo, Eva & Manu, Linda Tikkanen etc.

I met Eeti for the first time probably in 2005 in Jyväskylä but I properly heard him play the drums some years later in a jam session in Helsinki. I immediately thought it would be great to have him in the band because he puts feeling into the beat.

He is at his best in the hard core jazz punk avant-garde band, Mopo, check it out!





Heini Ikonen

Instrument: backing vocals, violin
Studying at Metropolia, Helsinki
Plays in: Dolla Lova, Yona ja Orkesteri liikkuvat pilvet etc.

Heini is a real sweetheart, enthusiastic chick with good sense of humour. The moment I met her I could tell she has passion for hip hop, soul and r&b. I got to know Heini better in 2006 when I was studying at the conservatory in Jyväskylä. She was awarded the "newcomer of the year" - and for a good reason. I can remember her voice was very soulful already then. She was only sixteen and sounded like Mary J. Blige's sister :-)




All photos by Michaela Kei
Tuuli Ikonen

Instrument: backing vocals, flute
Studying at Metropolia, Helsinki
Plays in: Tuuli Ikonen, Satureja etc.

I've known Tuuli Muuli for more than eight years now and she's my dear friend. It feels like there is a mysterious side to her that I don't understand, which is kind of cool :-)

I have always looked up to Tuuli's musicianship. During her studies in Boston she sang with Bobby McFerrin! She plays many instruments and creates wonderful songs, check them out! 

By the way Tuuli's voice is like honey not only when she sings but also when she laughs. Tuuli and Heini are the ultimate laughing sisters in stereo. I'm considering recording their laugh on my next album ;-)

So these are the cool dudes and gals who play with me. I love them lots!
In addition, six guest musicians play on "Doses". Stay tuned, the album will be out soon.
Oh, I can't wait, only 22 days to go!

Lucie


P.S. Congratulations to the winners of the competition - Janne (from Helsinki) and Timo (from Tampere) - Doses are on their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment