2012/04/20

Regina Spektor ♥

Hi there!

After my Czech tour I have gone quiet for a moment. Doses are in stores, Miners are on German tv, and I figured I should rest for a while.

For the rest of April I have no shows coming up. I'm still curing my dearly beloved flu and because I cannot sing much I finally listen to music. For the last two years I have been so absorbed in my own songs that I've completely forgotten to listen to other artists. People have been going on and on about new sensations like Gotye and I have had no idea who he was. That's when I realized I need to stop my self-centred behaviour and get some current music education ;-)

I have been asked about my idols and musicians that have inspired me. If you want to know who I listen to the most, you can visit my profile on Last.fm.
(By the way I really appreciate Last.fm, it's such a great platform to find new interesting music.)

Funny thing is I have been listening mostly to quite soulful and jazzy stuff. I am a singer-songwriter and I play the piano but singer-songwriters who play the piano haven't been that much on my music list. People keep asking me about Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush or Norah Jones but I have to admit I have heard only a few of their songs. If there is a female singer-songwriter & pianist who has caught my attention, it's definitely Regina Spektor.

If I have a wish in my career, then it would be to play as support act for Regina Spektor. That would certainly be an honour.

I've discovered Regina Spektor's music only recently. How could I have not heard this incredible woman earlier?! Her vibe, ideas and energy that she transmits in her music really resonate with me!
I soooo like the fact that she takes on various topics. Her lyrics are pure poetry, they're not just about "I-love-you-I-want-you". She tells stories and has the gift of describing daily life in accurate, quirky and truthful phrases and metaphors.

Her music is simple and yet complex. The intervals and jumps in the melody are something I have always liked. I love how she goes for it, not only singing but also marking the beat and whispering. I appreciate when someone is quirky without making a clown of themselves. Another thing that I admire is Regina's image, especially how her music videos are done, and her story and multicultural background. Oh yeah, she is unique, a total package. Don't you guys agree? :-)

I could go on forever... I think her name says it all, ReSpekt.
I'm anxiously waiting for her new album that is due 29th May 2012.

To end my love serenade, here is a video clip that we all need to see today on this gloomy rainy day (2°C in Helsinki). That's right, we all need to get Better:




No comments:

Post a Comment