2012/04/03

School gig

Yesterday was special for me because I got to play for eighty kids at a local school in my Czech hometown Orlová. I was looking forward to it. Although I was told the teenagers would be tough on me I found them quite nice and cool.

I played some seven songs and the rest of the time I answered questions. Of course, first three questions were: Why are you in Finland, How old are you & Are you married? but then we mostly talked about Finland, about how hobbies are important and about learning languages. I taught the kids some Finnish words. They learned quickly. Everytime someone left the room, they shouted "moi moi" :-)

The kids were very co-operative. One brave gentleman even held my mic for me :-) 

I even played the guitar which is something you don't see quite often because I've written most of my songs on the piano.


All the teachers I talked to told me that kids have changed: they are more hyperactive than ten years ago and they care mostly about Facebook and computer games. I asked the children about their hobbies and it's true that only a few of them were active in arts. The school doesn't have a choir anymore (too bad, schools should have choirs!)
I really hope the situation will change. I could see how desperate children are for attention and activity. I actually admired them for sitting still for an hour :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment